08 November 2007

The Writing Life

I love creating characters that are memorable, hot love scenes that make you squirm in your chair and a hero you'd love to play with. Hopefully, my stories will touch the lives of those who read my work. Make them laugh or feel better because of the universal truth of romance. When a reader tells me how much they loved one of my stories, I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to.

This is the beauty of writing.

The frustration comes from writing slow, from distractions and family.
To cure my slow writing speed, I started by joining the Alison Kent Challenge-Sweating with Sven. It helped. It also prepared me for NaNo (National Novel Writing Month). This is my first NaNo and even though I'm way behind on word count, I'm still writing faster than I was before.

I have so many stories I want to write and I'm aggravated I can't get them done faster. So I quite complaining and tried to do something about the problem.

I'm one of those writers who works on more than one project at a time. It's always helped when I'm stuck at a certain point. There are drawbacks to working this way, it works for me.

My dh whines about the money I'm not making and why is my butt in the chair in front of the computer. Well duh, a book doesn't write itself and when it's done you have to edit. (I'm forever grateful that man doesn't read my writing.)

I've wanted to write books from the time I was twelve. I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America) in 1994 and didn't see my first short romance published until July 2006. My point is, don't give up. Learn the craft of writing before you submit. Point of view, show don't tell, plotting, transitions. You want to submit your best work to a publisher.

The writing life is one I wouldn't trade for anything.

Tambra Kendall
Wicked Pleasures, out now from Red Rose Publishing.

No comments: